Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Eighth Deadly Sin

omission is a failure to do something one can and ought to do


"He who has the ability to act on an injustice, but who stands idly by, is just as guilty as he who holds the knife." ~~Dracano Sapien


As the corporate world is quiet in the festive season, while we tend to our personal bad habits, I have been working on the reception desk at the hotel instead.
This, and a recent episode of Dexter, has made me explore our sins; mostly, the sin of omission.
We all seem to think that keeping something to ourselves / not telling the whole truth is always better than lying. I certainly seemed to think so. 

Then the plate crashed. 


I went in for a doctor's appointment at 4:30. The receptionist told me that the doctor wouldn't be back till 6pm. So I swipe my medicare card, do some shopping and return at 6, quite studiously. 
6:30 goes by. I think, wow, this doctor must be thorough. The waiting room is at a stand still.
7pm comes along. Three more patients are waiting. (Three and a half if you count the screaming child attached to one of them). 
I tap my foot, angrily flicking the pages of the old romance novel that wished it aged as well as red wine. "How long is this going to take?" I ask. 
"Not long now", is her curt reply. 
I overhear the receptionist tell one of the new walk-ins that the doctor hasn't even arrived. 
I think to myself, could have done with that information at SIX PM! 
I HAVE NEVER WAITED THIS LONG FOR A MAN! 
Feminists everywhere lose 10 points! Clearly, the woman is a sinner. Had she told me the doctor wasn't in yet, I probably wouldn't have thanked her for her honesty (and by probably I mean notafreakingchancemate), but I wouldn't have wound up feeling tricked!


Omitting to ask a guest how their breakfast was incase no one notified them it was included. Sin?
Omitting to dress properly or do your hair, after spending all of your time and energy on your makeup. 
Sin.
Omitting to tell the whole story to make your boyfriend look like a scum bag to all his friends. 
Sin!!!
Omitting to tell me you took items from the mini bar & filling up the long gone beer with water. 
SIN!
Omitting to tell your wife that your business trip to the hotel turned out to be a little more pleasurable than anticipated. 
Double sin!
Omitting to tell me you're just after a good time until I'm as naked as a native on your kitchen floor. 
Burn. Sinner.
Omitting to tell your brother, the secret serial killer, that you're actually in love with him.. 
Sin? .....No. Keep that shit to yourself. Hold it very very close and never let it out!

We don't need to be told that if you have the ability to make a difference for the greater good and don't, it's wrong.                     

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping opinions to oneself. There's always too many of those flying around anyway! 
Figuring out the difference between opinions and facts, seems to be the key to opening your mouth, or keeping it locked! But that's another story for another blog.
Now I'm getting the rock out of here, because what other people think of me, is none of my god damn business! Stay tuned though, because I plan to make it yours!
<3 Miss Coordinate 

"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends" ~~Martin Luther King

No comments:

Post a Comment